Friday, May 24, 2019

Some thoughts on Sense and Sensibility Volume Three


 There are only a few books I have read that I know I do not want to die before reading them again. Sense and Sensibility, which was actually originally named Eleanor and Marianne,  is one of those books that must carefully be put on my shelf, and is one I may very well read many times in the future.
 I began Sense and Sensibility after starting the Iliad by Homer, a work I plan to return in reading soon. With respect to Homer, I found his writing much more archaic and less plot driven that Austen's own. The Iliad was thrilling to me until I picked up and began reading Sense and Sensibility.
I recently finished the third volume of Jane Austen's first book, Sense and Sensibility.  While doing this, I also began the great Medieval Classic, Sir Gawain And the Green Knight. These are two entirely different works of course but I like to read books of different themes at once. This usually helps me not get bored with one subject.  I also will be rereading Sense and Sensibility shortly from now. In fact, I own a hardcover edition of it from Penguin classics that I find most pretty!
 I'm not going to give away many spoilers here! But I can certainly speak of many resolved and completed plots in the third volume of this book. Perhaps of central importance to this book is the relation of the Dashwood sisters to Colonel Brandon and Edward Ferrars. The Third volume again heavily told from Eleanor's perspective, as she watches her sister Marianne, heal from a broken heart. The story ends on a note about the youngest sister, Marguerite Dashwood, and mentions that she has come to a point of maturity that she would be quite noble for a gentleman to seek. Perhaps we can envy the possible sequel that could have been to Austen's classic about the youngest Dashwood sister.
 That is all I am going to say of the plot here. Jane Austen's works are of course relevant to things Medieval as I have mentioned in another post.
 All that said, I encourage lovers of literature to pick up this great piece of English Literature, and to read it. Also check out a few of the film adaptions of the novel, most notably the one from Emma Thompson!
  On a critical level, I was most pleased with this book. I would possibly rank it among the top ten novels I have read. It would be hard to be certain that it is my favorite novel since it is the only one of hers that I have read. But I do think that even if I read all her works, this probably would still be my favorite.
 Though I have seen it before, I just ordered the blue ray multi format of the 1995 Sense and Sensibility film. Indeed,  I do look forward to watching it again!
 Jane Austen may go down, as if she has not already, as one of the greatest writers of English Literature. Indeed, we are much indebted to the great stories that she wrote that have given joy to millions.
 With some of my brief analyzing of Austen's Sense and Sensibility on this blog now done for now, I am ready to share the excitement of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, as well as other works of Medieval Literature. But who knows, maybe I will post about Austin at some point again.
 On a different subject, I have something to my readers to say briefly here. Different Christians from Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, and Protestant beliefs read my blog posts. That is all completely fine and welcomed. In fact, I am no apologist for any of these branches of Christianity, and that is not the intent of this blog. I do wish to help people think by the reading of my posts, and I hope my reflections on various subjects will be seen less as propaganda than good ole reading. Last, this blog was largely set up to propel my future career as a teacher and writer.
 Some of you may now be aware of the various topics on this blog: History, Social Sciences, Art, Philosophy, Religion, Theology, Politics and Literature. In short, anything about or related to Medieval Times is consummated here. By Medieval I am also including the late Renaissance by the way.  My blog thus incorporates a timeline of starting in the 4th century and ending in the 18th. Added to this however, are also events or things before or after that timeline, though they are related to it somehow. So for example, I may find ways to tie in Charles Dickens or Homer to topics on this blog, despite that fact that neither lived in Medieval Times.
Of course, I only began this blog back in January so I have now just begun. I try to evaluate things more as a historian or an English teacher than as a theologian. I find the latter, is usually filled with more particular agendas of defending one's church, even if those defenses are unfounded historically, or only half truths. Again this blog is not Apologetic related material, I'm not denying my posts reflect my worldview though. But my theological opinions are usually less relevant here.
As always, thank you for taking the time to read my posts. It's one thing to a have particular view, it's another to twist facts of History or Literature for example, to fit them. God bless, Joshua.
I know some of that is a little off of the topic of this post, so let me get back to the subject of Austen. I will end by a few quotes from her and the Holy Scriptures.




'' My Beloved lifts up his voice, he says to me, 'Come then, my love, my lovely one, come. For see, winter is past, the rains are over and gone. The flowers appear on the earth. The season of glad songs has come, the cooing of the turtledove is heard in our land.''
 -The Song of Song Chapter Two, Verses 10-12.

18 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful well written so entertaining. I am always excited on Saturday to review your reviews! This is one of my favorite stories. But your clever description makes me want to watch it all over again !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I agree she was a most gifted writer and a gift to us today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post had me spell bound Joshua!. It was so smooth, interesting and captivating! Your writing makes me want to read Sense and Sensibility! You are very mature in reaching out to let people know that your writing are going to reveal some of your worldview but it is not your intent to be theological here. Very well put my beloved son! I can't wait till' next Saturday to read another.!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly enjoyed reading this, Joshua! I like the flow of ideas and it is smoothly written! I will have to re-read Sense and Sensibility now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you red it before Ben! Glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete
  5. Very insightful, as usual Josh. But don't hesitate to include theological or religious insights, because the Middle Ages is really the "age of faith" which often goes hand in glove with many writings from that time period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Pete, the Middle of Ages is full of theology! I will continue to post on the Medieval World, and the religious views of it. Of special concentration in my posts are that of Western Latin Christianity.
      All I was saying above is that my blog not apologetic related material. I want to give facts, but I also to refrain in many cases of making this blog out to convert people to a certain belief.
      The doctrines that Medieval people believed, will indeed be subjects of my future post. For now, I intend to write more on their views, than my own.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I am glad you enjoyed my post!

      Delete
    3. It would indeed be impossible to truly post about Medieval Times without addressing the topic of Western Theology.

      Delete
  6. You beat me to this book, but I beat you to Northanger Abbey. Haha..this was seriously very interesting and I appreciate your humility in reaching out. I may read this someday....but Narnia first :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interestingly enough, our store has recently started a display of classic books for sale. Sense and Sensibility sold quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's great Ronnie! It is indeed, a true classic!

      Delete
  8. The blu-ray was SOOOO enjoyable! Hard to believe I used to watch this on VHS on a floor TV! LOL. Way more luxurious with your blue-ray edition ;) Great post, yet again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so funny! It is a great film! I love it!

      Delete