Saturday, May 9, 2020

A Great film on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight



I recently saw a film based on the Medieval poem, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. As someone that loves Medieval Literature, and has loved it as soon as I remember, I take most opportunities to watch historically accurate medieval films. Prior to watching Gawain and the Green Knight, I had just watched Marvel's Black Panther, and I continue to be be amazed by how much the arts have mostly went downhill. I guess some would prefer a film about rap music and a racial agenda than to the literary classics of the past! Black Panther has to be one of the most overrated movies I have ever seen! Not sure what year this film based on Sir Gawain and the Green Knight was made. You can watch it here on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBEv8xjBJf8

The movie is personally one of my favorite films about the Middle Ages. As far as I can tell, it is also accurate to the story. A film titled the Green Knight, is coming out later this year. Hopefully, the upcoming film will be just as good.

I learned a lot about the story { which I read twice before } by watching this film. You can also learn about medievalism in general by just watching things played out as it would have looked in Medieval Times.

For my previous thoughts on the poem check out the following link
https://themedievalist.blogspot.com/2019/07/a-review-of-sir-gawain-and-green-knight.html

As an interesting note, I recently learned that Gawain's shield has much significance. It has Gold and a Red Pectangle with a picture of the Virgin Mary on the inside. Somehow I guess I missed that the two times I read the poem so far! His shield represents symbols of virtue including chivalry, generosity, fellowship, chastity, courtesy, and piety. The chief of these virtues is chastity.

I probably will give more personal thoughts as well as academic research about Sir Gawain and the Green Knight in a future post! For now, enjoy the film!

11 comments:

  1. It sounds like a very interesting film. It must be good if you say it is good. I would like to watch it sometime. Thanks for sharing about this film!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this so much, and cannot forget it, for sure. This film was intriguing and had me hooked from the first scene! I want to see the newest adaptation, too, and now I want to read the book. It's right up there with Beowulf for me! Thank you, Joshua <3.

    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the artwork, too, btw!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't seen the film--- and based on your narrative, I really think I should and soon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I shall climb on board to watch it as well, maybe we can find it at McKay’s??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed... ( {Pattas} Movie Full Leaked By Tamil Rocker )

    ReplyDelete