Wednesday, May 26, 2021

My Love of Medieval Allegory

 




Some of my favorite literary works ever are those concerning Medieval allegory such as The Summoning of Everyman and Piers Plowman by William Langland. Additionally, The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis, which has always been one of my all-time favorite series, derived its novels largely from Christian themes of Medieval literature. I also greatly enjoy the allegorical themes of fleeing temptation from sin in The Quest of the Holy Grail

Whether it be Pope Innocent III or Geoffrey Chaucer, I enjoy Medieval allegory. I admire Pope Innocent III's vast knowledge of various passages in the scriptures. Even if I find certain texts in the scriptures to be stretched by him at times to defend the papacy, I nevertheless, find such interpretations to be interesting. Alas, I also enjoy how Chaucer made use of scripture for both theological and moral themes throughout his Canterbury Tales

The Discarded Image: An Introduction to Medieval and Renaissance Literature by C. S. Lewis has been one of my inspirations to studying Medieval literature over the course of these last two years. In general, Lewis's study of the literature of the Middle Ages has triggered me to be a scholar in the field of English literature. To this end, I aspire to discuss and analyze various works of the Middle Ages.  

8 comments:

  1. I enjoy allegory as well, especially in the book of Revelation. I sure know that C.S. Lewis has had a great impact on you. I like him a lot. Thanks for sharing Joshua.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting Joshua. Are there specific writings where Pope Innocent III talks about Medieval allegory? Or should I check the CS Lewis you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book on Pope Innocent's teaching is titled Pope Innocent III and the Greek Church.

      Delete
  3. I still need to read the tales!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting...I would also like to read The Discarded Image at some point! Whitney

    ReplyDelete