Saturday, February 23, 2019

A Review of Paradise Lost by John Milton


A picture of the Paradise that was lost forever. 

As the Renaissance Era can include history, art, literature, etc, up until 1700 A. D, I thought I would do a post on a literary work of that time. I thought I'd do a post on a literary work from that time period. The book I am writing of,   is a really good one, especially if you like the Puritans.
 Some of you may know that for many years as a Protestant, my most admired Protestants of the past were the Puritans.
 Since I was a little boy, my Mother read to me the stories of the Puritans and Pilgrims again and again. Even today, the Puritans are my favorite Protestants of any era.
 I am not here of course though to give a post on the strictness of the Puritans, or of their theology. Nor am I here to talk about their influence on America's founding, the Puritan influence on Harvard University and education in general,
for the Americas. Last for this post, I am not here to talk about the Puritans relations to other Protestants, nor am I  here to give on how and why the Puritans faded out. The topic of today's post, is narrowly on the literary work: Paradise Lost. For the prior topics, perhaps I will post in the future.
 I read Paradise Lost by John Milton back in high school. This is still one of my favorite works of the English language. It's sequel, Paradise Regained, is one I plan to read in the future. The book centers around Adam's fall in the garden of Eden, and is written all as a story. It is a long poem, with beautiful lines of an English work.
 John Milton's Paradise Lost was inspired by the poetry of Homer and Virgil. It is considered one of the greatest works of English literature ever.

                                     A typical copy of Milton's work from your local bookstore.


 Last point, to John Milton it was better to burn in hell forever, than to not to see the face of God. How so precious was his wisdom on this matter. 



 ''Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression,  who is the figure of him that was to come.'' -Romans 5: 14

11 comments:

  1. I am so glad that I was able to read this classic...let me know if you read the sequel and what you think about it in comparison to the original!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that I was able to read this classic...let me know if you read the sequel and what you think about it in comparison to the original!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joshua it really is a treat for me to come home and get to read the new post's on your blog. You really have me interested in John Milton and Paradise Lost. I know of your love for the Puritan's and I also have love for them. It is really sad to see how Christianity has conformed to the world. This post was excellent as usual and I really enjoyed reading. I would love to hear some of your King's and Crusaders again sometime. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dad, and glad you enjoyed! Milton's book is really good.

      Delete
  4. U know I love the puritans! It’s a shame they aren’t still here! Harverd would be a lot better off if they were still in control!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this in college, but I have forgotten much of it. Your enthusiasm is inspiring me to want to go back and read it anew! Thank you for the refresher, Joshua, and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete